Friday 16 December 2011

Merry Christmas


Well…it’s almost here….no not Winter…that’s been here a while…I am of course talking about the wonderful time of year that is Christmas.

I love Christmas, as I’m sure most of you reading do…but what is it that we love about it?  Are we thinking about what it truly means...and the whole point of Christmas spirit… or just thinking about the time off work, eating too much and watching crap TV?


To me, Christmas has always been about giving…the power of giving, the joy of giving, watching people’s faces as they open up their gifts.  I try to put plenty of thought into the gifts I give, I don’t see the point in giving something that the person will never use/wear… essentially you are giving the message of ‘I couldn’t be bothered’…I know we should be grateful for everything we receive but honestly…just put some thought into it…considering a lot of people say…’It’s the thought that counts’…when clearly…no thought has been put in at all!  So just take a little time to think about the person you are buying for…if you don’t know the kind of things they are currently into, ask someone…a close friend or family member…even if it something like ‘who’s their favourite band right now’ so you can get the latest CD or memorabilia.

Christmas is especially amazing when there are little ones around…the ones that still believe in Santa!  As I’ve mentioned in previous blogs, I haven’t yet been blessed with children…so I have to ‘borrow’ them from others lol.  To see the excitement and anticipation on their faces is, in my opinion, one of the wonders of the world.  When they come and wake you asking if Santa has been… or in Harry’s case, you have to wake him to tell him Santa has been… that boy loves his sleeps.

That excitement as you walk down the stairs with them…you stand at the doorway…and then flick on the light switch!  The shock on their faces, the total and utter surprise…it can be overwhelming for them…that is until they start to unwrap their gifts…even funnier when the wrapping paper itself is the most interesting thing to them…lol.  Until they get a bit older, as Harry is now coming up to 4 he is at a wonderful age for spending Christmas with because he has an amazing vocabulary and can really express himself and his excitement.

We also need to be appreciative of those close to us, regardless of the gifts we give or receive.  We should make the time to tell them and show them what they mean to us with hugs, kisses and actually telling them ‘I love you’.

We should also spend time remembering those that are no longer with us.  Not in a sad way, but to celebrate what they mean to us.  We’ve all lost people close to us and it always seems to make us sad at Christmas and New Year.  Thinking about the fact they aren’t there is one way of thinking…thinking about all the great times you had with them is another…the one I’m sure they would wish you remember them by.

And what of those that have no one?  Do you spare a thought for them?  Is there someone in your neighbourhood that is alone and will be alone over Christmas?  I put it to you that if you could just spare some time, even if it’s just 15 minutes, to drop by to check on them, to let them know that there is someone out there that is thinking of them…take them a mince pie or small gift…heck why not invite them round for a drink…or Christmas dinner?  Why not?  You would be making them so happy.

With this in mind, I am desperately trying to arrange with Independent Age to go and visit some elderly people over Christmas that could be stuck indoors with no one to look in on them, to pull a cracker with or share a laugh.  If I visit, I’m guaranteed to make them laugh at least…those that know me, know I’m a colourful lad when I want to be…a little bit crackers...in a good way.

I really love this time of year for the weather too…but not when I want to play golf.  The crisp mornings…sun shining, the last of the brown leaves being blown off the trees…yet it gets no warmer than 3 or 4 degrees Celsius.. Wrapping up warm, going for nice walks and stopping off in country pubs that have a log fire to have a nice Sunday roast.

So whatever you are doing this Christmas and with whom ever you are spending it with…I wish you all a very Merry Christmas…and a Happy New Year!  I may post during the festive season to keep you all up to date with any charity work, social event or general words of inspiration.

If you’re in the Walton On Thames area at all (not just at Christmas)…be sure to drop me a line

No comments:

Post a Comment