Monday 7 January 2013

Motivational Monday: Don't Become A Victim Of Yourself

Happy New Year to all my dedicated followers and welcome to new ones, your time is not only appreciated, but won't be wasted by looking through my posts.

Let's start the week with a large dose of positivity...and not focus on it being a new year...let these be lifetime resolutions.

I'm sure you wouldn't mind me saying that many of you out there, just like myself, have at some point or another felt stuck in a rut...like you're just plodding along and that life is passing you by while everyone else is out there having fun, earning lots of money, have the great job, the house, the car, the family, the apartment in Spain...those things only happen to other people....right???....WRONG!!! FACT!!!  They are no different to you and I as people apart from one thing...they chose not to play the victim and accept that no one else can make things happen other than themselves.

They understand the harsh reality...'Learn to accept that you are responsible for your life and stop blaming others for the things you don't have, aren't doing, don't have time or the money for!'

You have the power to choose...as does everyone else.  Others make those choices and break free from playing the victim of blaming everything or everyone else as to why good things can't happen, haven't happened, will never happen to them.

They finally got out of their own way and allowed themselves to truly believe...and follow their dreams...even if they failed...they can at least say they went after their dream.

Speaking of failure...is it such a bad thing?  Should we always get it right first time?  I would argue that we need a degree of failure in our lives to learn how not to do things, to understand that life isn't just plain sailing and retain a sense of being grounded.  As I've said in a previous post, it's how we react to failure that defines us, makes us different, makes us positive, makes us get back up and learn from the experience.

One great example of accepting repeated failure is the guy that invented the light bulb...Thomas Alva Edison.  In the period from 1878 to 1880 Edison and his associates worked on at least three thousand different theories to develop an efficient incandescent lamp.

If they had 'tried' and given up the first time they failed, then they would not have been the successful ones...as there were many inventors trying to perfect this in order to bring it to the mass market.
If you say you are going to 'try' then you've already accepted that you may fail and will undoubtedly take the first excuse to give up doing what ever it was you were 'trying'.

I guess the bottom line is that you need to convince yourself that you are not going to 'try' and do something, but that you 'Will' do something...To quote Yoda 'There is not try, only will or will not'...and I for one truly believe in this...even if it ends in failure you can look yourself in the eye and say you gave it your all and it still didn't happen, can I do something different in order to make it successful?  How can I avoid failure in the future?, I still don't say 'oh well, I tried'...I say 'I did'...or 'Will do again because I understand now why I wasn't successful last time'.

Your attitude towards doing or to stop doing will become very different.  If you 'try' and fail...you are far less likely to 'try' again, than if you adopt the 'I will' attitude...as you will want to get to the bottom of why you failed...which gives you the strength and the knowledge to 'Do again'.

My own example of eliminating the 'try' attitude was when I wanted to quit smoking.  Now I concede that there are many of you out there that want to do this and I'm not saying this is the perfect way to do it, horses for courses right...but what I will say is that using this same approach will further enhance any other method you use to stop.

I'm not going to bore you with a long story about why I wanted to stop other than I believed it was damaging my health and wanted to get fitter...so I told myself 'I will stop smoking on a given day (which happened to be new years day)'.  I stood outside my local pub with my friend Julie smoking my last cigarette and said 'That's it...I don't smoke any more'.  I crushed the packet, threw it in the bin and that was the last time I ever smoked a cigarette...5 years ago.  

What helped me change my mindset was that I switched my thoughts and feelings away from the negative craving side of smoking to a more positive behaviour of getting great satisfaction or my 'high' from telling people 'sorry I don't smoke' when asked for a light or if I was 'coming outside for a cigarette'.  I enjoyed saying no...enjoyed saying I don't smoke.  I started to believe what I was telling myself enforcing my thoughts and thus changing my behaviour.

So I ask you...is there something you have been meaning to start doing or stop doing?  Have you been making excuses, I don't have time, I can't afford it, there's no way I can do that, those things don't happen to people like me, I'm too busy with the kids, my husband won't let me...etc, etc... well now is the time to do something for yourself.  Break free, Do...See...Experience...Learn...and I guarantee your life will change for the better.

You need to fundamentally believe that there is nothing you cannot achieve or do.  You also need to understand that whilst it is great to have lots of wonderful goals and ideas, you need to harness these, structure them, set out a plan..a chartered course for your journey, otherwise you will end up achieving none of them.  The related links below are there to help you with this process, or if you want to get in touch with me to have a chat, feel free leebo89@hotmail.com



  

No comments:

Post a Comment