Thursday 26 April 2018

It starts with 1!




1 thought, 1 conversation, 1 idea, 1 word, 1 press-up, 1 mile... what ever it is, it all begins with 1.

New challenges can seem so very daunting, too big to achieve for many reasons, it’s going to take a long time, take many attempts, many failures, too much money, etc.

Is this really a good enough reason to simply give up on your dreams, goals and ambitions?

Some great advice I read once by Peter Jones (Dragons Den), was to work back from your goal, breaking it down in to steps but in the backward sequence.

So if for example you want to start a new technology company, work back from the end game of having a great tech company, what does it take to get it to that final goal. Then what would it take to reach the step before the final goal, and the goal before that, and so on, until you end up back at the beginning, where you are now.

Now we understand the full journey and not just a great big void between where we are now and where we want to be.

It could be that all you need is 1 conversation with someone to get that idea going.

How about helping just 1 person other than yourself?!?!? If you could have a positive impact on just 1 other person by helping them with a challenge or situation, imagine how that person would feel. Imagine how you would feel.  Now imagine if we all adopted the power of helping just 1 person... that’s a lot of help given, received and appreciated. Just by doing your bit, you can have an impact, as part of the collective, we can move mountains.

Or perhaps you are thinking of running a half marathon, 10k, 5k and have never done one before or you’re just getting back into training.

It all starts with 1. 1 meter, 1 mile, 1k. Start there... a manageable distance and puts a tick in a box that you can achieve. Now add 1... 2 meters, 2 miles, 2k. And so on. Don’t bite off more than you can chew. Giving ourselves too bigger goals too soon can lead to us getting disappointed that we couldn’t run 5 miles straight out of the gate, that it’s just too hard and the inevitable ‘I can’t’ feelings.  Rather give it a go and fail than never realise what could be.

1 thought can spark the beginning of a new future, 1 decision to make that change.

I am about to start out on my training journey for my 9th half marathon. It all started with 1... the first one. Had someone said to me 14 years ago that I’d do 9 before I’d completed my first, I’d have called them crazy, in fact if you’d have asked me after I completed my first that I’d do 9 I’d have so ‘No Way!’. And yet here I am, 8 later and about to do the 9th. Each year I say 1 more, 1 more, 1 more.

So give it a go today. Dare to dream and let yourself have that 1 thought about what it is you want your future to look like. Draw a picture of it in your mind, frame it, remember it.

Bert.

No comments:

Post a Comment